Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Our Classroom Quilt


My kiddos worked together on a super cute & easy- peazy project last week. Those are the best kind, right? Together they worked on a classroom quilt.

This was a special project for a couple of reasons. For one thing, quilts are very special in my family so it was a fun way to share something about myself with the students. The project also provided lots of time to chitchat which is important during those first few days. Plus putting the pieces together helped unify the class as indivuals that are part of something bigger. 


To start the project I read the Keeping Quilt  by Patricia Polacco. Obviously, Patricia Polacco writes great stories but this little one has special place in my heart! 


The kids loved seeing the different ways that the quilt was used in the story.


 Then I shared my own quilts. It was fun showing off my mommy & grandma’s handy work. Of course the kids had a million questions and wanted to know if I used their quilts as a tablecloth, how old the quilts were, etc. During this time we also talked about family traditions. Several students talked about their own special blanket or quilt.


Next each of the students worked on their own “quilt blocks” which were really 6X6 inch scrapbook papers. I had saved scraps from my summer classroom projects so they were able to add ribbon, ric-rac and paper scraps to create a design on their 6X6 scrapbook paper. They had fun making something out of the mess of scraps.








When they were done we pasted the “quilt blocks” together to make a classroom quilt. Then we talked about how we are all creative and different just like our quilt blocks but we all fit together to make something beautiful. A little cheesy I know—but the first week of school needs a whole lotta cheese! :) 

What projects do you do to promote a happy & healthy classroom community??? I am always on the lookout for new ideas! 




5 comments:

  1. Saw you stopped by my blog. I am now one of your newest followers.

    I love your blog title. I love lattes and laughter. :)

    -Jeremy
    Mr. Michelbook's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Just entered your giveaway!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blogg, and I too get excited when I see other blogs of fifth grade teachers. Your classroom quilt came out great, I could imagine the questions. I am one of your newest followers, and I 'll see you around.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to following you and your classroom, too! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of blogland! I am so happy that you are here! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...