Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Real Readers

Our entire school begins the day with read to self. It can be powerful to have the whole school reading...it can also be a huge waste of time if the kiddos aren't really reading. My students started off the year doing a great job with read to self but slowly their attention started to drift. My classroom looked like it was full of readers but if you looked closely with teacher eyes, you could see a whole lotta fakers, too!

I was trying to figure out what to do to combat this when I came across these amazing pins....

<Click on the images to go to the original site> 


Love this chart from Ginger over at Ginger Snaps. 

Are your students real readers or are they fakers

I taught a quick lesson on the difference between real readers and fake readers. Then we barinstormed as a class and came up with a chart (Opps! I forgot to take a picture of the chart that we came up with)

Next, I printed out some Real Reader tickets. Of course I forgot to take pictures of those and the the doc is on my computer at school but they weren't anything fancy. I did fancy them up a bit by printing the Real Reader tickets on my favorite astrobrights paper.
<--------

When I saw my kiddos practicing the traits of Real Readers, I rewarded them with a little ticket. We put the tickets in a basket and did a drawing at the end of the week. I picked 5 tickets and the winners were able to choose a brand new book.

Since we all want to walk away with a little somethin' somethin', I also created these cute little bookmarks as door prizes for ALL of the students who had earned a Real Reader ticket during the week. Hopefully these little bookmarks will also serve as a little reminder to the kiddos, too!    
                  ----------> 
We used this system for two weeks. This is our first week without using the tickets and I still see improved reading habits! Here's to hoping these real readers are here to stay!

What do you do to teach/improve reading habits?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an awesome way to help kids understand what it means to be a good reader. I'm not teaching reading this year, but I'm going to tell my colleagues about your blog! It can be really tough to improve reading habits, especially with the middle school kids I work with. One strategy that worked with my reluctant readers was to pick high-interest books that were unique to an individual and then providing lots of class time to read. Your "real reader ticket" idea would take this strategy to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I agree, picking hi interest books is SO important! It is so amazing to watch a reluctant reader blossom into a real reader when they find the right book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of blogland! I am so happy that you are here! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...